12 Tips To Becoming a Better Defensive Driver
According to AAA, more than half of fatal car crashes involve aggressive driving. You’re likely aware that casualties from negligence, drunk driving, bad driving habits, and road rage are a significant issue in the United States.
It is important that drivers adhere to some common-sense defensive driving habits to keep themselves and those they share the road with safe.
Follow these tips to improve your own defensive driving skills.
Before You Take the Wheel
- If you feel tired, stressed or lightheaded, reconsider whether you really need to be driving. It’s worth it to wait until you’re at your best.
- Consider taking a defensive driving course. It’s a great way to learn good habits that could save a life.
- Periodically test your vision and hearing. Your two biggest senses in use while driving are your vision and hearing. It’s essential to safe driving that both of these are working optimally.
Get Back to Basics
- Always wear your seatbelt. There should never be an exception to this rule.
- Leave your cell phone alone while you’re operating a vehicle. There will be time for that call or text when you arrive safely at your destination.
- Don’t tailgate! Driving too close to other vehicles significantly increases your risk of a crash.
- Pay attention to your blind spots.
- Obey the speed limit. This is a big one in avoiding collisions.
- Always use your turn signals when changing lanes.
Driving in Inclement Weather
- When the weather is dicey, avoid driving at high-traffic times of day.
- Pay attention to warning signs.
- Be mindful of hills. Going downhill in slippery conditions increases your risk of losing control of your vehicle.
If You Are Injured in a Car Accident, Call The Gorny Law Firm
Every driver has a responsibility to do all that they can to avoid an accident. Implementing some defensive driving tips is an important part of doing your part to maintain safety.
Still, accidents can and will happen. If you are ever injured in a car accident, be sure that your rights are protected. Remember, you can get a free consultation from the The Gorny Law Firm. You owe it to yourself to be sure that you pursue any rightful personal injury claim.
We represent car accident victims in Missouri, Kansas, and nationwide. Our experienced personal injury lawyers fight to see that our clients receive a full and fair amount of compensation to deal with the injuries and damages which have been inflicted on them by the negligence of another.
Our successes include multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for persons seriously injured in car accidents. If you or a loved one are hurt in a car accident, contact The Gorny Law Firm.